Nanoscience Programs Offered by UNCG
The mission of the Nanoscience department is to prepare students from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds to conduct basic and advanced research in Nanoscience in industrial, governmental or academic settings. Within this context, the Nanoscience Department provides a graduate level trans-disciplinary educational and discovery research experience in the nanosciences, sustainable nanosystems, innovation and community engaged outreach. It also works collaboratively with the Nanoengineering Department to achieve an integrated foundational research program in emerging high impact areas. Scientists in this new and emerging field seek to comprehend, gather and organize knowledge of the nanoworld through careful observations and creative, visionary thinking. Nanoscience is a multidisciplinary field bringing together vast knowledge from mathematics and all the core sciences: physics, biology, chemistry, and from their derivatives such as material science, pharmacology, neurochemistry, ecology etc. Consequently, nanoscientists are scientists engaging in an organized activity of manipulation of materials at atomic, molecular and macromolecular scales that are versatile and fluent in mathematics and the core sciences with a particular world view based on the synergy of these core sciences and on their derived applications to the macro world. Nanoscience is a new way of thinking about old things.
- Computational Nanotechnology
JSNN is a flagship research facility located at Gateway University Research Park South Campus.
- Over 100,000 sq. ft. of cleanroom, laboratory, office and meeting space
- Advanced nano-, micro-, chem-, bio-, computational labs, valued in excess of $80,000,000
- Over 100 state-of-the-art fabrication, synthesis, characterization, test, microscopy and modeling tools
- National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI)
- Southeastern Nanotechnology Infrastructure Corridor (SENIC)
- Nearly 90% of current students receive some form of assistantship and/or tuition waiver
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistantships
Nanoscience - UNCG
Our admissions staff is here to provide thoughtful guidance as you make important decisions about your education. Apply now and let us know how we can support your exciting plans for the future.