Jianjun Wei, Ph.D.
Dr. Wei’s research is well centered in the cutting-edge nanoscience and nanotechnology areas, with a particular emphasis on a few important fundamental aspects of nanoscale systems under electrical, optical and/or magnetic fields, as well as its applications in biosensors for diagnosis, nanomedicine, and catalysis for energy conversion and storage. More specifically, he investigates both fundamentals of structure-correlated electron/energy transfer and nanoscale plasmonics with a motivating philosophy of exploiting synergies between functionalities and nanoscale materials or structures. His research is highly interdisciplinary and employs broad methods of materials synthesis, nanofabrication, self-assembly, electrochemistry, microscopy, spectroscopy, and computational modeling and simulation. The diagram illustrates the overview of his research theme and current focuses.
- Zeng, T. Zhang, Y. Liu, W. Zhang, Z. Yin, Z. Ji, J. Wei*, Magnetic field enhanced 4-electron pathway by a well-aligned Co3O4@ECNFs design in oxygen reduction reaction, ChemSusChem, 2017, accept.
- Liu, Z. Zeng, B. Bloom, D. H. Waldeck, J. Wei*, Stable Low-current Electrodeposition of alpha-MnO2 on super-aligned Electrospun Carbon Nanofibers for High-performance Energy Storage. Small, 2017, DOI: 10.1002/smll.201703237.
- Covell, Z. Zeng, T. Mabe, J. Wei, A. Adamson, D. LaJeunesse, Alternative SiO2 surface energies direct MDCK epithelial behavior, ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng. 2017, 3(12) 3307-3317
- Zeng, W. Zhang, Y. Liu, P. Liu, J. Wei*, Uniformly electrodeposited alpha-MnO2 film on super-aligned electrospun carbon nanofibers for a bifunctional catalyst design in oxygen reduction reaction. Electrochimica Acta, 2017, 256, 232-240.
- Zhang, Z. Zeng, J. Wei, Electrochemical Study of DPPH Radical Scavenging for Evaluating the Antioxidant Capacity of Carbon Nanodots, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2017, 121, 186345-18642.
- Zeng, W. Zhang, D. Arvapalli, B. Bloom, A, Sheardy, T. Mabe, Y. Liu, Z. Ji, H. Chevva, D. H. Waldeck, J. Wei,* A Fluorescence-electrochemical Study of Carbon Nanodots (CNDs) in Bio- and Photoelectronic Applications and Energy Gap Investigation, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics (PCCP), 2017, 19, 20101-20109
- Zeng, Y. Liu, W. Zhang, H. Chevva, J. Wei,* Improved Supercapacitor Performance of MnO2-Electrospun Carbon Nanofibers Electrodes by mT Magnetic Field, Journal of Power Sources, 2017, 358, 22-28.
- Zeng, X. Shi, T. Mabe, S. Christie, G. Gilmore, A. Smith,* J. Wei,* Protein Trapping in Plasmonic Nanoslit and Nanoledge Cavities: The Behavior and Sensing, Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 89 (10), 5221–5229. DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.6b04493
- Kaye, Z. Zeng, M. Sanders, K. Chittur, P. Koelle, R. Lindquist, U. Manne, Y. Lin, J. Wei,* Label Free Detection of DNA Hybridization with A Compact LSPR-based Fiber-Optic Sensor, The Analyst, 2017, 142, 1974-1981. DOI: 10.1039/C7AN00249A.
- Xu, Z. Li,* F. Zhang, X. Zhuang,* Z. Zeng, J. Wei,* New nitrogen-rich azo-bridged porphyrin conjugated microporous networks for high performance of gas capture and storage, RSC Advances, 2016, 6 (36), 30048-30055, DOI: 10.1039/C6RA04077B.
- Liu, Z. Zeng, J. Wei*, Frontiers in nano-architectured carbon–metal oxide electrodes for supercapacitance energy storage, Front Nanosci Nanotech, 2016, 2, 78-85.
- Zeng, M.N. Mendis, D.H. Waldeck, J. Wei*, A semi-analytical decomposition analysis of surface plasmon generation and the optimal nanoledge plasmonic device, RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 17196 – 17203, DOI: 10.1039/C6RA01105E.
- Zeng, Y. Liu, J. Wei*, Recent advances in surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS): finite difference time domain (FDTD) method for SERS and sensing applications. Trend in Analytical Chemistry. 2016, 75, 162–173.
- Liu , T. D. Dolidze, S. Singhal, D. E. Khoshtariya, J. Wei*, New Evidence for A Quasi-Simultaneous Proton-Coupled Two-Electron Transfer and Direct Wiring for Glucose Oxidase Captured by The Carbon Nanotube-Polymer Matrix. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 2015, 119 (27), 14900–14910
- Sanders; Y. B. Lin, J. Wei*; T. Bono, R. Lindquist, An Enhanced LSPR Fiber-Optic Nanoprobe for Ultrasensitive Detection of Protein Biomarkers, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2014, 61, 95-101
- J. Wei*; Kofke, M.; Singhal, S.; Waldeck, DH., A Study of Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance Nanoslit Array and Applications for Chip-based Protein Detection, JSM Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine, 2014, 2(2): 1024
- Li, J. Zhang, et al and J. Wei*, A Nanocomposite of Copper (II) Functionalized Graphene and Application for Sensing Sulfurated Organophosphorus Pesticides, New Journal of Chemistry, 2013, 37 (12), 3956 - 3963
- Zhu, J. Zhang, G. Vegesna, A. Tiwari, F-T. Luo, H. Li, J. Wei* and H. Liu*, Highly Water-soluble, Near-infrared Emissive Copolymeric BODIPY Dye Bearing RGD Peptide Residues for Cancer Imaging, Analytica Chimica Acta, 2013, 758, 138–144
- US Application: 2016/62/357180, "Nanoplasmonic devices and applications thereof", full patent, filed on June 30, 2017, Inventor: J. Wei.
- US Application: 2017/62/478,773, "Separator-Free Energy Storage Devices and Methods", filed on March 30, 2017, EFS ID: 28785044, Inventor: J. Wei, Y. Liu, Z. Zeng
- US 9509009, approved on 11/29/2016, Enzyme catalyzed oxidation of hydrocarbons, Inventors: Y. Ulyanova, S. Minteer, S. Singhal, V. Svoboda, J. Wei. Issued 11/29/2016
- UNCG Disclosure #D16-0001, Portable urinary F2-isoprostanes assessment for determining fat utilization, July 13, 2015,
- UNCG Disclosure #D15-0018, Morphology controllable deposition of metal oxide for enhanced energy storage, June 15, 2015
- UNCG Disclosure #D15-0017, A versatile optofluidic platform for multiplexed detection of small molecular biomarkers in body fluids, June 12, 2015
- US 8703022, 04/22/2014. Electrically conductive ink and uses thereof. Inventors: V. Svoboda, J. J. Wei, S. Singhal
- US 8685286, 04/02/2014. Electrically conductive ink and uses thereof. Inventors: V. Svoboda, J. J. Wei, S. Singhal
- US 8158409, 04/17/2012 Nanoscale Surface Plasmonics Sensors with Nanofluidic Control, Inventors: J. J. Wei, S. Singhal, D. H. Waldeck, M. Kofke
- 20080213631: Hybrid Power Strip, U.S. Patent Application No. 60/858,590
- 20090120843: Filtration Apparatus and Method, US Patent Application No.: 11/930,819
NSF/UNS, Award#: 1511194 (PI, 2015-2018)
NIH, Award#: R15HL129212 (co-PI, 2016-2019)
UNCG Internal Strategic Seed Grant (co-PI, 2017-2018)
12.2004 Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
1995 M.S., Applied Chemistry, East China University of Science & Technology (ECUST), Shanghai, China
1992 B.S., Applied Chemistry, East China University of Chemical Technologies, Shanghai, China
- Mabe, J. Ryan, J. Wei,* "Functional Thin Films and Nanostructures for Sensors", for Handbook of Nanoparticles and Architectural Nanostructured Materials, Editor-in-Chief: Ahmed Barhoum, Elsevier Publisher, 2017, In Press.
- Liu, Z. Zeng, J. Wei,* "Nano-architectured Carbon-metal Oxide Electrodes for Supercapacitance Energy Storage" for Handbook of Nanoparticles and Architectural Nanostructured Materials, Editor-in-Chief: Ahmed Barhoum, Elsevier Publisher, 2017, In Press.
- Wei,* Z. Zeng, Y. Lin “A LSPR-Coupled Fiber-Optic Nanoprobe for the Detection of Protein Biomarkers”, Chapter 1 in Methods in Molecular Biology Series 1571, Biosensors and Biodetection: Optical-based Detectors Volume 1: Methods and Protocols, 2nd Edt. Editors: A. Rasooly and B. Prickril, Humana Press (Springer Copyright), Totowa, NJ, US, ISBN13: 9781493968466, 01/2017.