Lifeng Zhang, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Nanoengineering
Prof. Zhang’s research interests focus on the engineering aspects of advanced nanomaterials including polymer, ceramic and carbon nanofibrous materials and their nanocomposites. The advanced nanomaterials developed in his research have seen a wide range of applications such as energy conversion and storage, optical/gas sensors, photo-catalysis, ballistic protection, biomedical uses and etc. His goals are to understand the structural and morphological development at nanometer scale during nanomaterials processing; to design, fabricate, and characterize novel nanomaterials; and to promote nanomaterials’ commercial applications.
- Chen, Qi; Zhang, Lifeng*; Yoon, Myung-Keun; Wu, Xiang-Fa; Arefin, Ragib H.; Fong, Hao. Preparation and evaluation of nano-epoxy composite resins containing electrospun glass nanofibers. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2012, 124(1), 444-451.
- Zhang, Lifeng; Wang, Xiaoxu; Zhao, Yong; Zhu, Zhengtao; Fong, Hao. Electrospun carbon nano-felt surface-attached with Pd nanoparticles for hydrogen sensing application. Materials Letters, 2012, 68, 133-136.
- Schneiderman, Steven; Zhang, Lifeng; Fong, Hao; Meankhaus, Todd J. Surface-functionalized electrospun carbon nanofiber mats as an innovative type of protein adsorption/purification medium with elevated capacity and high throughput. Journal of Chromatography A, 2011, 1218(50), 8989-8995.
- Chen, Qi; Zhang, Lifeng; Rahman, Arifur; Zhou, Zhengping; Wu, Xiang-Fa; Fong Hao. Hybrid multi-scale epoxy composite made of conventional carbon fiber fabrics with interlaminar regions containing electrospun carbon nanofiber mats. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2011, 42(12), 2036-2042.
- Presser, Volker†; Zhang, Lifeng†; Niu, Jun Jie; McDonough, John; Fong, Hao; Gogotsi, Yuri. Flexible nano-felts of carbide-derived carbon with ultra-high power handling capability. Advanced Energy Materials, 2011, 1, 423-430 (Note: This paper has been featured as the frontispiece of this issue of the journal).
- Koepsell, Laura; Zhang, Lifeng; Neufeld, Daniel; Fong, Hao; Deng, Ying. Electrospun polycaprolactone nano-fibrous scaffolds for tissue engineering of annulus fibrosus. Macromolecular Bioscience, 2011, 11(3), 391-399.
- Zhang, Lifeng; Luo, Jie; Menkhaus, Todd J.; Varadaraju, Hemanthram; Sun, Yuyu; Fong, Hao. Antimicrobial nano-fibrous membranes developed from electrospun polyacrylonitrile nanofibers. Journal of Membrane Science, 2011, 369(1-2), 499-505.
- Joshi, Prakash; Zhang, Lifeng; Davoux, Daren; Zhu, Zhengtao; Galipeau, David; Fong, Hao; Qiao, Qiquan. Composite of TiO2 nanofibers and nanoparticles for dye sensitized solar cells with significantly improved efficiency. Energy and Environmental Science, 2010, 3, 1507-1510.
- Zhang, Lifeng; Hu, Jianjun; Voevodin, Andrey A.; Fong, Hao. Synthesis of continuous TiC nanofibers and/or nanoribbons through electrospinning followed by carbothermal reduction. Nanoscale, 2010, 2, 1670-1673.
- Zhang, Lifeng; Gao, Yi; Chen, Qi; Tian, Ming; Fong, Hao. Bis-GMA/TEGDMA dental composites reinforced with nano-scaled single crystals of fibrillar silicate. Journal of Materials Science, 2010, 45(9), 2521-2524.
- Zhang, Lifeng; Chandrasekar, Ramya; Howe, Jane Y.; West, Michael K.; Hedin, Nyle E.; Arbegast, William J.; Fong, Hao. A metal matrix composite prepared from electrospun TiO2 nanofibers and Al 1100 alloy via friction stir processing. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2009, 1(5), 987-991.
- Zhang, Lifeng; Howe, Jane Y; Zhang, Yan; Fong, Hao. Synthesis and characterization of zirconium tungstate ultra-thin fibers. Crystal Growth and Design, 2009, 9(2), 667-670.
- Fong, Hao; Zhang, Lifeng. Flexible nano-felts of TiC derived carbon for energy applications. US Patent, 2011, in progress.
- Qiao, Qiquan; Joshi Prakash; Fong, Hao; Galipeau, David; Zhang, Lifeng. Semiconductor nanoparticle/nanofiber composite electrodes for dye-sensitized solar cells. Patent, US 20110079275, WO 2011041762.
- Hsieh, You-Lo; Xie, Jiangbing; Wang, Yuhong; Chen, Hong; Li, Lei; Zhang, Lifeng; Cecile, Corine. Generation of polymer-based nano-porous fibers and protein or enzyme membrane composition. Patent WO 2004/044281
- Ph.D., Fiber and Polymer, 2006, University of California – Davis, United States
- M.S., Polymer Materials, 1997, Beijing Institute of Technology, China
- B.Eng., Polymer Materials, 1994, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China