Shanthi Iyer, Ph.D.
Research Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering and Nanoengineering at Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering
Prof. Iyer has been responsible for the initiation and development of NC A&T SU’s state of the art Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) Laboratory and associated academic and research programs. She has has been a PI of over $7 million in DoD research projects. She was also the Director of the Center of Excellence for Battlefield Capability Enhancements, which focus on developing technologies for environmentally stable flexible panel displays.
Her current research work is in the molecular beam epitaxial (MBE) growth and characterization of novel dilute nitride antimonide based narrow band gap compound semiconductor for infrared sources and detectors encompassing a wide infrared wavelength region from 1µm to 20 µm and GaAsSb nanowires for infrared photodetectors. The other research projects in progress include ZnO alloys based thin film transistors on plastic substrates for flexible electronics and assembling of solar cells for solar concentrators.
The research work in the past 30 years also includes transparent and conducting oxides by spray pyrolysis, transparent conducting oxide/Si solar cells, compound semiconductor based solar cells in the near infra-red region and extensive optical characterization of semiconductors namely low temperature photoluminescence and photoreflectance characteristics of compound semiconductor based quantum well heterostructures.
- Estiak Ahmad, Md Rezaul Karim, Shihab Bin Hafiz, C Lew Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “A Two-Step Growth Pathway for High Sb Incorporation in GaAsSb Nanowires in the Telecommunication Wavelength Range”, Scientific Reports 7, 10111 (12 pp)(2017).(DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-09280-4) http://rdcu.be/vr94
- Manish Sharma, Pavan Kasanaboina and Shanthi Iyer," Impact of Processing and Growth Conditions on the Self-Catalyzed Patterned Growth of GaAs Nanowires by Molecular Beam Epitaxy," Proc. SPIE 10354, Nanoengineering: Fabrication, Properties, Optics, and Devices XIV, 103540, 103540F (9pp) (2017/08/31); doi: 10.1117/12.2274669.
- Manish Sharma, Md Rezaul Karim, Pavan Kasanaboina, Jia Li,and Shanthi Iyer, "Pitch-Induced Bandgap Tuning in Self-Catalyzed Growth of Patterned GaAsSb Axial and GaAs/GaAsSb Core-Shell Nanowires using MBE" Crystal Growth & Design 17, 307 (2017) (DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.6b01577).
- Estiak Ahmad, S.K. Ojha, P.K. Kasanaboina,C. L. Reynolds Jr., Y. Liu and Iyer, "Bandgap Tuning in GaAs1-x Sbx Axial Nanowires Grown by Ga-Assisted Molecular Beam Epitaxy ", Sem. Science & Tech. 32, 035002(10 pp) (2017).
- Estiak Ahmad, Pavan Kasanaboina, Md Rezaul Karim, Manish Sharma, C.L. Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Te Incorporation in GaAs1-x Sbx Nanowires and P-I-N Axial Structure”, Sem. Science & Tech.31, 125001(8pp) (2016).
- Sai Krishna Ojha, Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, C Lewis Reynolds.Jr, Thomas A Rawdanowicz, Yang Liu, Ryan M White and Shanthi Iyer, “ Incorporation of Be Dopant in GaAs Core and Core-Shell Nanowires by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 34(2), 02L114-1 - 02L114-6(2016).
- Pavan Kasanaboina, Manish Sharma, Prithviraj Deshmukh, C.L. Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu, Shanthi Iyer, “Effects of Annealing on GaAs/GaAsSbN/GaAs Core-Multi Shell Nanowires”, Nanoscale Research Letters 11(1), 1-6 (2016) DOI: 10.1186/s11671-016-1265-4.
- Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, Sai Krishna Ojha, Shifat Us Sami, Lewis Reynolds, Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, "Effect of Growth Parameters and Substrate Surface Preparation for High Density Vertical GaAs/GaAsSb Core-Shell Nanowires with Photoluminescence Emission at 1.3 µm", Journal of Electronic Materials, 45(4) 2108-2114 (2016) (DOI: 10.1007/s11664-015-4316-1).
- Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, Estiak Ahmad, Jia Li, Lewis Reynolds,Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Self Catalyzed Growth of Dilute Nitride GaAs/GaAsSbN/GaAs Core-Shell Nanowires by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Phys. Lett. 107, 103111 -5(2015).
- Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, Sai Krishna Ojha, Shifat Us Sami, C.Lewis Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Bandgap Tuning of GaAs/GaAsSb Core-Shell Nanowires Grown by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 30, 105036(10pp) (2015).
- Ngoc Nguyen, Briana McCall, Robert Alston, Ward Collis, and Shanthi Iyer, “The Effect of Annealing Temperature on the Stability of Gallium Tin Zinc Oxide Thin Film Transistors” Sem. Sci. Tech. 30, 105004 (2015).
- Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, Sai Krishna Ojha, Shifat U. Sami, Lewis Reynolds, Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer,“Tailoring of GaAs/GaAsSb core-shell structured nanowires for IR photodetector applications”, Proc. SPIE 9373, Quantum Dots and Nanostructures: Synthesis, Characterization, and Modeling XII, 937307 (February 27, 2015); doi:10.1117/12.2080572.
- Robert Alston, Shanthi Iyer, Tanina Bradley, Jay Lewis, Garry Cunningham and Eric Forsythe, “ Investigation of the effects of deposition parameters on indium-free transparent amorphous oxide semiconductor thin-film transistors fabricated at low temperatures for flexible electronic applications”, SPIE OPTO, 90050D-90050D-10., 25th Feb 2014, SanFrancisco, CA.
National Science Foundation, “EAGER Self-Catalyzed Growth of Patterned GaAsSb and GaAsSbN Nanowires for Optoelectronic Devices”
Office of Naval Research, “Dilute-Nitride GaAsSbN/GaAs Nanowires for Infrared Photodetectors”
Army Research Office, “Characterization of Nanowire Photodetectors”
Army Research Office, “A Study of GaAsSb Nanowire Photodetectors”
Triad Interuniversity Project (TIPP), “Developing a Low-Cost Concentrator System to Make Solar Electric Farming a Viable, Acceptable, and Widespread Business Practice in North Carolina and Beyond”
Ph.D., Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India (1983)
M.Sc., Delhi University, Delhi, India, (1976)
B.Sc., Delhi University, Delhi, India, (1974)
1. Manish Sharma et al., "Pitch-Induced Bandgap Tuning in Self-Catalyzed Growth of Patterned GaAsSb Axial and GaAs/GaAsSb Core-Shell Nanowires using MBE" Crystal Growth & Design 17, 307 (2017). http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.cgd.6b01577
2. Pavan Kasanaboina et al. “Effects of Annealing on GaAs/GaAsSbN/GaAs Core-Multi Shell Nanowires”, Nanoscale Res. Lett. 11(1), 1-6 (2016) http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s11671-016-1265-4
3. Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina et al., “Self Catalyzed Growth of Dilute Nitride GaAs/GaAsSbN/GaAs Core-Shell Nanowires by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 103111 -5(2015).http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/apl/107/10/10.1063/1.4930887