Lifeng Zhang, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Nanoengineering/Director of Graduate Studies
Dr. Lifeng Zhang’s research interests lie in engineered materials at nanometer scale. The advanced nanomaterials developed in his research including polymer, ceramic and carbon nanomaterials and their nanocomposites have seen a wide range of applications such as energy conversion and storage, dye-sensitized solar cells and supercapacitors, optical/gas/bio sensors, photo-catalysis, ballistic protection, biomedical uses like bio-separation, antimicrobial fabrics, dental composites and scaffolds for tissue engineering and controllable drug release. Dr. Zhang has published 22 peer-reviewed journal articles including 15 as corresponding author, he has filed 13 invention disclosures and has received two U.S. patents with another 3 U.S. and PCT patent applications pending. Dr. Zhang has pre-sented his research in the form of 64 invited talks, oral presentations, and poster presentations at international, national, regional, and university conferences, symposia, workshops, and seminars. To date he has prepared and submitted 48 proposals as PI and Co-PI to federal and state funding agencies.
- Regional climate and weather studies by the means of numerical modeling and data analysis.
- Mesoscale wind field study over complex topography in the Arctic
- Data assimilation and its application for regional reanalysis
- Regional climate downscaling for environmental impact studies
- The role of stratosphere and troposphere interaction in the Arctic storm development
- Vegetation-land-air interactions and climate impacts of greening north
- Surface mass balance modeling for the Antarctic Peninsula. Through these activities, Zhang wishes to gain a better understanding of regional changes in the polar regions.
The Fiber Society
2018 NCATSU Faculty Excellence Awards: OUTSTANDING YOUNG INVESTGATOR
- Villamil-Otero, Gian Zhang, Jing He, J. Zhang, X. (2018). Role of Extratropical Cyclones in the Recently Observed Increase in Poleward Moisture Transport into the Arctic Ocean. (doi: 10.1007/s00376-017-7116-0, ). Advances in Atmospheric Sciences.
- Zhang, Jing Stegall, S. Zhang, X. (2018). Wind-SST-Sea Ice Relations in the Marginal Ice Zone of the Chukchi-Beaufort Seas. (doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aa9adb, ). Environmental Research Letters.
- Tao, W. Zhang, Jing Fu, Y. Zhang, X. (2017). Driving Roles of Tropospheric and Stratospheric Thermal Anomalies in the Intensification and Persistence of 2012 Arctic Superstorm. (doi: 10.1002/2017GL074778, ). Geophysical Research Letters.
- Tao, W. Zhang, J. Zhang, X. (2017). The Role of Stratosphere Vortex Downward Intrusion in a Long-lasting Late-summer Arctic Storm. (DOI: 10.1002/qj.3055, ). Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society.
- Zhang, J. Krieger, J. Bhatt, U. Lu, C. Zhang, X. (2016). Alaskan Regional Climate Changes in Dynamically Downscaled CMIP5 Simulations. Proceeding of the 2013 National Conference on Advances in Environmental Science and Technology and Program, Springer.
- Tao, W. Zhang, J. Zhang, X. Chen, J. (2016). Arctic Storm and Its Impact on the Surface Winds over the Chukchi-Beaufort Seas. Proceeding of the 2013 National Conference on Advances in Environmental Science and Technology and Program, Springer.
- Bieniek , P. Bhatt, U. Walsh, J. Zhang, J. Krieger, J. Lader, R. (2016). Dynamical downscaling of ERA-Interim temperature and precipitation for Alaska, Dynamical Downscaling of ERA-Interim Temperature and Precipitation for Alaska. (doi:https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-15-0153.1, ). J. Applied Meteorology and Climatology.
- Zhang, J. Liu, F. Tao, W. Krieger, J. Shulski, M. Zhang, X. (2016). Mesoscale Climatology and Variation of Surface Winds over the Chukchi Beaufort Coastal Areas. (doi:https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0436.1, ). Journal of Climate.
- Ziemen, F. Hock, R. Aschwanden, A. Khroulev, C. Kienholz, C. Melkonian, A. Zhang, J. (2016). Modeling the evolution of the Juneau Icefield between 1971 and 2100 using the Parallel Ice Sheet Model (PISM). (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/jog.2016.13, ). Journal of Glaciology.