The mission of the JSNN Safety Committee is to develop and promote a healthy and safe research environment and to create and maintain a safety culture for all faculty, staff, students, partners, and visitors to our facilities through the involvement of all individuals with regards to education, communication and safe work practices. The Committee also assists the Director of the Research Operations and Environmental Health and Safety (ROEHS), assuring the JSNN’s compliance with applicable Federal and State health and safety laws and regulations
Safety Committee Structure
The JSNN safety committee is chaired by the Director of Research Operations and Environmental Health and Safety (ROEHS). The committee members are appointed by the JSNN Dean for a one-year term, which can be renewed. Committee members Consistent of the following members. Current safety committee members are:
- Dr. Olubunmi Ayodele
- Dr. Kristen Dellinger
- Mahdi Fahim (committee chair)
- Dr. Daniel Herr
- Dr. Daniel Rabinovich
- Dr. Nafisa Sirelkhatim
- Dr. Jianjun Wei
- Dr. Lifeng Zhang
Committee roles and responsibilities
The University Safety Committee (USC) meets quarterly and is charged with protecting the health and safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors; the environment; and preventing damage and loss to JSNN property. Safety committee main roles and responsibility include:
- Review the JSNN annual inspection report and advise on corrective actions.
- Oversee development, implementation, and maintenance of the Safety Programs.
- Review, communicate, and implement JSNN safety policies and procedures toward establishing a culture of safety.
- Advise the ROEHS Director in the selection of tools and means for hazard reviews, exposure assessment, and accident prevention.
- Review incident trends and develop recommendations to mitigate, control, and prevent accidents.
- Review safety record keeping requirements in compliance with federal and state regulatory agencies.
- Assist the ROEHS Director in developing policies and procedures to meet federal, state, local, and university regulations related to biological safety, chemical hygiene/lab safety, hazardous waste, respiratory protection, and ionizing and non-ionizing radiation safety programs.
- Review and approve new high risk/hazard processes as it relates to materials and equipment.
- Develop and update service level agreements.
- Develop and convey laboratory personal protective equipment (PPE) policies and lab access
- Define, evaluate, and implement general and hazard-specific safety training modules.
- Assist the ROEHS Director in developing and implementing JSNN emergency preparedness and emergency response programs.
- Establish safety rewards and recognition for promoting the safety and health programs and improving students and employees’ awareness and participation.
- Establish internal audit, metrics, and measurements to ensure that programs meet safety standards.
- Advise the JSNN Dean on major safety policy change requirements and provide updates on progress.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the safety programs and recommend changes to address identified weaknesses and/or areas for improvement.
- Review concerns reported by employees and students regarding safety and health hazards and ensure that corrective actions are identified and implemented.
- Support the ROEHS Director in establishing ad hoc sub-committees as needed to address specific issues that require special knowledge and/or additional time commitment.