Nanotechnology for Defense Applications and Beyond
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM
Saturday, October 14, 2023
(9:00 am- 3:00 pm est)
Keynote Address by:
Dr. Ericka Ford
Wilson College of Textiles
North Carolina State University
On October 14, 2023, JSNN is hosting an Undergraduate Research Symposium as part of the 2023 NanoImpacts Conference. This event is open to undergraduate students in the Triad and surrounding areas to present their science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) research through poster and oral presentations. The event’s goal is to allow participants to learn more about innovative research, network with other students and faculty, and gain experience in the scientific field. Interactive workshops will be available to all focusing on: Science Communication, Applying to Graduate School, Careers in Industry, and Careers in Government. Registration is free for all presenters and non-presenters. In addition, the top 3 presentations in the oral and poster sessions will receive a prize and recognition.
9-11 am: Poster and Oral Presentations
11-12 pm: Keynote Address
12-1 pm: Networking Lunch
1-2:30 pm: Interactive Workshops
2:30-3 pm: Awards & Closing Remarks
*Tours available following awards.*
Workshops are an excellent opportunity for all participants to learn from current experts in the field. Each session will be 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A of 10 minutes. Sessions will cover:
- Internship Opportunities
- Getting your MS and PhD Degrees
- Careers in Industry
- Careers in Government
The abstract should be 100-200 words that reflect research the student has participated in. The title, co-authors, and advisor should be included.
Posters should be no bigger than 36 x48 inches. Presenters should be prepared to answer the questions of judges.
The oral presentation should be 10 minutes followed by 2-3 minutes of questions and answers.
- Undergraduate students in STEM fields are invited to apply regardless of the timeline of their research experience.
- Research work must be guided by a supervisor (at the current institution or during a summer research experience).
- Presenters MUST register and submit their abstract by October 9, 2023 by 11:59 pm EST.
- Non-presenters are invited to attend the conference and learn about careers and graduate education opportunities. Registration for non-presenters closes on October 10, 2023 at 11:59 pm EST.
- Registration is FREE for presenters and non-presenters.