SemiSynBio and Beyond
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM
Saturday, October 15, 2022
(9:00 am- 3:00 pm est)
Keynote Address by:
Dr. Kristala L. Jones Prather
Arthur Dehon Little Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
On October 15, 2022, JSNN is hosting an Undergraduate Research Symposium as part of the 2022 NanoImpacts Conference. This event is open to undergraduate students in the Triad and surrounding areas to present their science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) research through poster and oral presentations. The event’s goal is to allow participants to learn more about innovative research, network with other students and faculty, and gain experience in the scientific field. Interactive workshops will be available to all focusing on: Science Communication, Applying to Graduate School, Careers in Industry, and Careers in Government. Registration is free for all presenters and non-presenters. In addition, the top 3 presentations in the oral and poster sessions will receive a cash prize and recognition.
9-11 am: Poster and Oral Presentations
11-12 pm: Keynote Address
12-1 pm: Networking Lunch
1-2:30 pm: Interactive Workshops
2:30-3 pm: Awards & Closing Remarks
Workshops are an excellent opportunity for all participants to learn from current experts in the field. Each session will be 30 minutes, followed by a Q&A of 10 minutes. Sessions will cover:
- Science Communication
- Applying to Graduate School
- Careers in Industry
- Careers in Government
The abstract should be 100-200 words that reflect research the student has participated in. The title, co-authors, and advisor should be included.
Posters should be no bigger than 36 x48 inches. Presenters should be prepared to answer the questions of judges.
The oral presentation should be 10 minutes followed by 2-3 minutes of questions and answers.
- All current undergraduate students in STEM fields are invited to apply regardless of the timeline of their research experience.
- Research work must be guided by a supervisor (at the current institution or during a summer research experience).
- Presenters register and abstract extended to October 3, 2022 by 11:59pm EST.
- Non-presenters are also welcome. Please register as soon as possible.
- Registration is FREE for presenters and non-presenters.