Daniel Rabinovich, Ph.D.
- Associate Dean and Professor
- (336) 285-2864
About Professor Rabinovich
PDF Version, Nov 2021
Dr. Rabinovich was born and raised in Lima, Peru, obtained a Ph.D. in inorganic chemistry from Columbia University in 1994, and worked as a postdoctoral research associate at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico until 1996. After 25 years in the Department of Chemistry at UNC Charlotte, he recently joined the JSNN as the new Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Education. His research interests are in synthetic and structural inorganic, bioinorganic, and organometallic chemistry, as documented in some 60 peer-reviewed publications. He is also passionate about science communication, the history of chemistry, and the application of postage stamps as teaching tools and outreach activities.
Synthetic and structural inorganic, bioinorganic, and organometallic chemistry:
- Coordination chemistry of new sulfur- and selenium-containing ligands
- Design and preparation of single-source precursors to metal chalcogenides
- Palladium and silver compounds with antibacterial and anticancer properties
- History of science, chemical education, and chemical philately
Honors & Awards
- ACS Award for Research at an Undergraduate Institution (2021)
- ACS Fellow (2020)
- American Crystallographic Association Elizabeth A. Wood Science Writing Award (2014)
- ACS Stanley C. Israel Regional Award for Advancing Diversity in the Chemical Sciences, Southeastern Region (2013)
- IUPAC Young Observer Award (2005 & 2009)
- Fulbright Scholarship (2007)
- Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award (2002)
- “Synthetic Bioinorganic Chemistry: Scorpionates Turn 50” Rabinovich, D. Bond. 2016, 172, 139-158.
- “Synthesis, Characterization, Photophysical Properties, and Catalytic Activity of an SCS Bis(N-heterocyclic thione) (SCS-NHT) Pd Pincer Complex” Tyson, G. E.; Tokmic, K.; Oian, C. S.; Rabinovich, D.; Valle, H. U.; Hollis, T. K.; Kelly, J. T.; Cuellar, K. A.; McNamara, L. E.; Hammer, N. I.; Webster, C. E.; Oliver, A. G.; Zhang, M. Dalton Trans. 2015, 44, 14475-14482.
- “Dinuclear Copper(I) Complexes with N-Heterocyclic Thione and Selone Ligands: Synthesis, Characterization, and Electrochemical Studies” Kimani, M. M.; Watts, D.; Graham, L. A.; Rabinovich, D.; Yap, G. P. A.; Brumaghim, J. L. Dalton Trans. 2015, 44, 16313-16324.
- The Allure of Aluminium” Rabinovich, D. Chem. 2013, 5, 76.
- Synthesis, Structure, and Coordination Chemistry of O=PTA and S=PTA with Group 12 Metals (PTA = 1,3,5-triaza-7-phosphaadamantane)” Frost, B. J.; Lee, W.‑C.; Pal, K.; Kim, T. H.; VanDerveer, D.; Rabinovich, D. Polyhedron 2010, 29, 2373-2380