Shanthi Iyer, Ph.D.
Prof. Iyer has been responsible for the initiation and development of NC A&T SU’s state of the art Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) Laboratory and associated academic and research programs. She has has been a PI of over $7 million in DoD research projects. She was also the Director of the Center of Excellence for Battlefield Capability Enhancements, which focus on developing technologies for environmentally stable flexible panel displays.
Her current research work is in the molecular beam epitaxial (MBE) growth and characterization of novel dilute nitride antimonide based narrow band gap compound semiconductor for infrared sources and detectors encompassing a wide infrared wavelength region from 1µm to 20 µm and GaAsSb nanowires for infrared photodetectors. The other research projects in progress include ZnO alloys based thin film transistors on plastic substrates for flexible electronics and assembling of solar cells for solar concentrators.
The research work in the past 30 years also includes transparent and conducting oxides by spray pyrolysis, transparent conducting oxide/Si solar cells, compound semiconductor based solar cells in the near infra-red region and extensive optical characterization of semiconductors namely low temperature photoluminescence and photoreflectance characteristics of compound semiconductor based quantum well heterostructures.
- The molecular beam epitaxial (MBE) growth and characterization of novel dilute nitride antimonide based narrow band gap compound semiconductor for infrared sources.
- Detectors encompassing a wide infrared wavelength region from 1µm to 20 µm and GaAsSb nanowires for infrared photodetectors.
- ZnO alloys based thin film transistors on plastic substrates for flexible electronics.
- Assembling of solar cells for solar concentrators.
2018 BEYA TEM Innovation Award.
1993 Outstanding Senior Researcher Award –2006/7 (NCA&TSU and College of Engineering) and Excellence in Research in College of Engineering Award (NCA&TSU).
- Manish Sharma, Prithviraj Deshmukh, Pavan Kasanaboina, C. Lewis Reynolds Jr., Yang Liuand Shanthi Iyer, “Growth of Defect-Free GaAsSbN Axial Nanowires via Self-Catalyzed Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Sci. and Tech. 32, 125003 (2017) https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6641/aa90b0
- Estiak Ahmad, Md Rezaul Karim, Shihab Bin Hafiz, C Lew Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “A Two-Step Growth Pathway for High Sb Incorporation in GaAsSb Nanowires in the Telecommunication Wavelength Range”, Scientific Reports 7, 10111 (12 pp) (2017) https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-09280-4
- Manish Sharma, Pavan Kasanaboina and Shanthi Iyer,” Impact of Processing and Growth Conditions on the Self-Catalyzed Patterned Growth of GaAs Nanowires by Molecular Beam Epitaxy,” Proc. SPIE 10354, Nanoengineering: Fabrication, Properties, Optics, and Devices XIV, 103540, 103540F (9pp) (2017/08/31) http://spie.org/Publications/Proceedings/Paper/10.1117/12.2274669
- Manish Sharma, Md Rezaul Karim, Pavan Kasanaboina, Jia Li,and Shanthi Iyer, “Pitch-Induced Bandgap Tuning in Self-Catalyzed Growth of Patterned GaAsSb Axial and GaAs/GaAsSb Core-Shell Tuning in Self-Catalyzed Growth of Patterned GaAsSb Axial and GaAs/GaAsSb Core-Shell Nanowires Using MBE” Crystal Growth & Design 17, 307 (2017) http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.cgd.6b01577
- Estiak Ahmad, S.K. Ojha, P.K. Kasanaboina,C. L. Reynolds Jr., Y. Liu and Iyer, “Bandgap Tuning in GaAs1-x Sbx Axial Nanowires Grown by Ga-Assisted Molecular Beam Epitaxy “, Sem. Science & Tech 32, 035002(10 pp) (2017) https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6641/32/3/035002
- Sai Krishna Ojha, Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, C Lewis Reynolds.Jr, Thomas A Rawdanowicz, Yang Liu, Ryan M White and Shanthi Iyer, “Incorporation of Be Dopant in GaAs Core and Core-Shell Nanowires by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 34(2), 02L114-1 – 02L114-6 http://dx.doi.org/10.1116/1.4943600
- Pavan Kasanaboina, Manish Sharma, Prithvi Deshmukh, C. L. Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu, Shanthi Iyer, “Effects of Annealing on GaAs/GaAsSbN/GaAs Core-Multi Shell Nanowires”, Nanoscale Research Letters 11(1), 1-6 (2016) https://dx.doi.org/10.1186%2Fs11671-016-1265-4
- Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, Sai Krishna Ojha, Shifat Us Sami, Lewis Reynolds, Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Effect of Growth Parameters and Substrate Surface Preparation for High Density Vertical GaAs/GaAsSb Core Shell Nanowires with Photoluminescence Emission at 1.3 µm”, Journal of Electronic Materials, 45(4) 2108-2114 (2016) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11664-015-4316-1
- Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, Estiak Ahmad, Jia Li, Lewis Reynolds, Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Self-Catalyzed Growth of Dilute Nitride GaAs/GaAsSbN/GaAs Core-Shell Nanowires by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 103111 -5(2015) https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4930887
- Pavan Kumar Kasanaboina, Sai Krishna Ojha, Shifat Us Sami, C. Lewis Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Bandgap Tuning of GaAs/GaAsSb Core-Shell Nanowires Grown by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 30, 105036(10pp) (2015) http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0268-1242/30/10/105036/pdf