About Professor Zedegan
Dr. Zadegan functions as a bridge between disciplines and people. His goal is to blur the lines between disciplines, people, expertise, and socioeconomic status in academia. His team’s research is focused on the synthesis and characterization of nucleic acids-based materials that are applicable in personalized medicine, memory, nanoengineering, and bioengineering.
- Synthetic Biology We employ the gene expression mechanisms and design synthetic systems to manipulate biological processes.
- Semiconductor Synthetic Biology We are at the frontier of SemiSynBio effort to drive research and development on national and global scales at the intersection of synthetic biology and semiconductor technology.
- Nucleic acid memory (NAM) We encode (write), store, and decode (read) digital data in and from nucleic acids as an alternative to silicon-based memory.
- Personalized Medicine We produce DNA nanostructures that serve as molecular guides for drug delivery, molecular computation, and theranostics (therapeutics and diagnostics).
- M. Bathe, L.A. Chrisey, D.J. C. Herr, Q. Lin, D. Rasic, A.T. Woolley, R.M. Zadegan, V. Zhirnov, Roadmap on Biological Pathways for Electronic Nanofabrication and Materials, Nano Futures, 2019, 3, 012001.
- D.K. Prusty, V. Adam, R.M. Zadegan, S. Irsen, M. Famulok, Supramolecular Aptamer Nano-Constructs for Receptor-Mediated Targeting and Light Triggered Release of Chemotherapeutics into Cancer Cells, Nature Communications, 2018, 9, 535. 3. R.M. Zadegan, and W.L. Hughes, CAGE: Chromatin Analogous Gene Expression, ACS Synthetic Biology 2017, 6, 1800-1806. [press: C2W in Dutch]
- R.M. Zadegan, W.P. Klein, E.G. Lindau, H. Huang, C. Green, E. Graugnard, B. Yurke, W. Kuang, W.L. Hughes, Global Twisting of DNA Origami from DNA Intercalators, Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 7382.
- C. Green, K. Schutt, N. Morris, R.M. Zadegan, W.L. Hughes, W. Kuang, E. Graugnard, Metrology of DNA Arrays by Super-Resolution Microscopy, Nanoscale 2017, 9, 10205-10211.
- V. Zhirnov, R.M. Zadegan, G. Sandhu, G.M. Church, W.L. Hughes, Nucleic Acid Memory, Nature Materials 2016, 15(4); 366-370. [press: ScienceDaily, NanoWerk, newsWise]
- R.M. Zadegan, M.D.E. Jepsen, L.L. Hildebrandt, V. Birkedal, J. Kjems, Construction of a Fuzzy and Boolean Logic Gates Based on DNA, Small 2015, 11(15); 1811-1817. [Featured back cover] [press: MaterialsViews, NanoWerk]
- Z. Jiang, S. Zhang, C. Yang, J. Kjems, Y. Huang, R.M. Zadegan, F. Besenbacher, M. Dong, Serum-Induced Degradation of 3D DNA Box Origami Observed with High-Speed Atomic Force Microscopy, Nano Research 2015, 8(7); 2170-2178.
- R.M. Zadegan, M.B. Jepsen, K.E. Thomsen, A.H. Okholm, D.H. Schaffert, E.S. Andersen, V. Birkedal, J. Kjems, Construction of a 4 Zeptoliters Switchable 3D DNA Box Origami, ACS Nano 2012, 6(11); 10050-10053.
- R.M. Zadegan, and M.L. Norton, Structural DNA Nanotechnology: From Design to Applications, IJMS 2012, 13(6); 7149-7162. [Recognized by the editors; over 40k views to date]
10-20. Peer-reviewed manuscripts focused on bioinformatics and DNA nanotechnology published prior 2012.