Shanthi Iyer, Ph.D.
- Professor, Nanoengineering
- I106, JSNN
- (336) 285-3710
About Professor Iyer
About Shanthi Iyer
Prof. Iyer has been responsible for initiating and developing NC A&T SU’s state of the art Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) Laboratory and associated academic and research programs. She has been a PI of over $10 million in DoD research projects. She was also the Director of the Center of Excellence for Battlefield Capability Enhancements, which focused on developing technologies for environmentally stable flexible panel displays.
Her current research interests are molecular beam epitaxial (MBE) growth, characterization, and fabrication of GaAsSb(N) nanowire based infrared photodetectors epitaxially integrated into Si and graphene for next-generation photonic devices. This cross-disciplinary research encompasses solid state physics, nanoengineering, and optoelectronic devices.
- Rabin Pokharel, Hirandeep Kuchoor, Mehul Parakh, Shisir Devkota, Kendall Dawkins, Priyanka Ramaswamy, Jia Li, Christopher Winkler, Lew Reynolds, and S. Iyer, “A GaAs/GaAsSb core-shell configured nanowire-based avalanche photodiode up to 1.3 µm light detection”, ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2023. (https://doi.org/10.1021/acsanm.2c03644).
- S. Devkota*, H. Kuchoor*, K. Dawkins, R. Pokharel, M. Parakh, J. Li, and S. Iyer, “Heterostructure axial GaAsSb ensemble near-infrared p-i-n based axial configured nanowire photodetectors”, Nanotechnology, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/acc2c6.
- Priyanka Ramaswamy, Kendall Dawkins, Hirandeep Kuchoor, Rabin Pokharel, Jia Li, and Shanthi Iyer “MBE-grown hybrid axial core-shell n-i-p GaAsSb heterojunction ensemble nanowires based near infrared photodetectors up to 1.5 µm”, Crystal Growth and Design DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.2c00652.
- M. Parakh, R. Pokharel, K. Dawkins, S. Devkota, J. Li, and S. Iyer, “Ensemble GaAsSb/GaAs axial configured nanowire-based separate absorption, charge, and multiplication avalanche near-infrared photodetectors”, Nanoscale Advances 2022, DOI: 10.1039/D2NA00359G
- Long Yuan, Rabin Pokharel, Shisir Devkota, Hirandeep Kuchoor, Kendall Dawkins, Min-Cheol Lee, Yue Huang, Dmitry A. Yarotski, Shanthi Iyer and Rohit P. Prasankumar. “Revealing Charge Carrier Dynamics and Transport in Te-doped GaAsSb and GaAsSbN Nanowires by Correlating Ultrafast Terahertz Spectroscopy and Optoelectronic Characterization” , Nanotechnology, 33, 425702 (8 pp).DOI: 10.1088/1361-6528/ac7d61
- M. Parakh, P. Ramaswamy, S. Devkota, H. Kuchoor, K. Dawkins and S. Iyer, “Passivation efficacy study of Al2O3 dielectric on self-catalyzed molecular beam epitaxially grown GaAs1-xSbx nanowires”, Nanotechnology (2022) https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/ac69f8.
- S. Devkota; M. Parakh; P. Ramaswamy; H. Kuchoor; A. Penn; L. Reynolds; S. Iyer, “A Study on the Effects of Gallium Droplet Consumption and Post Growth Annealing on Te-Doped GaAs Nanowire Properties Grown by Self-Catalyzed Molecular Beam Epitaxy”. Catalysts 2022, 12, 451. https://doi.org/10.3390/catal12050451
- Priyanka Ramaswamy, Shisir Devkota, Rabin Pokharel, Surya Nalamati, Fred Stevie, Keith Jones, Lew Reynolds, and Shanthi Iyer, “A Study of Dopant Incorporation in Te – doped GaAsSb Nanowires using a Combination of XPS/UPS, and C-AFM/SKPM” Scientific Reports, 11, 8329 (14 pages) (2021).
- S.Iyer, Surya Nalamati and Jia Li, “GaAs1-xSbx Nanowires on a Graphitic Substrate”US Patent No. 11,384,286, U.S. Serial No. 17/038,175 – Publication No.:US 2021/0095199 A1, Pub. Date 04/01/2021 Filed: September 30, 2020
Honors & Awards
- 2022 Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering Teaching Award in Nanoengineering
- 2019 Advising Excellence Award (NCA&TSU) for being Advisor to the Outstanding Dissertation Award
- BEYA 2018 STEM Innovation Award.
- Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports (Nature Journal)
- DoD National HBCU/MI Committee Member (2010) to assess HBCU’s participation in their educational and research programs.
- Outstanding Senior Researcher Award –2006/7 (NCA&TSU and College of Engineering)
- Excellence in Research in College of Engineering Award-1993 (NCA&TSU).
- NANO 702
- NANO 823
- NANO 827
- NANO 852
- NANO 825
Scholarly & Professional Keywords
Molecular beam epitaxy, photonics, photodetectors, III-V compound semiconductors, and optoelectronic devices