Shanthi Iyer, Ph.D.
- Professor, Nanoengineering
- I106, JSNN
- (336) 285-3710
Prof. Iyer has been responsible for the initiation and development of NC A&T SU’s state of the art Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) Laboratory and associated academic and research programs. She has been a PI of over $10 million in DoD research projects. She was also the Director of the Center of Excellence for Battlefield Capability Enhancements, which focused on developing technologies for environmentally stable flexible panel displays.
Her current research interests are in the molecular beam epitaxial (MBE) growth, characterization and fabrication of GaAsSb(N) nanowire based infrared photodetectors epitaxially integrated to Si and graphene for next generation photonic devices. This research is cross-disciplinary encompassing solid state physics, nanoengineering, and optoelectronic devices.
- M. Parakh, S. Johnson, R. Pokharel, S. Devakota, P. Ramaswamy, J. Li, & S. Iyer, “Space charge limited conduction mechanism in GaAsSb nanowire and effect of in-situ annealing in ultra-high vacuum”, Nanotechnology 31, 025205 (2020), https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/ab47aa.
- Surya Nalamati, Manish Sharma, Prithviraj Deshmukh, Jeffrey Kronz, Robert Lavelle , David Snyder, C. Lewis Reynolds Jr., Yang Liuand Shanthi Iyer, “A Study of GaAs1-xSbx Axial Nanowires Grown on Monolayer Graphene by Ga-Assisted Molecular Beam Epitaxy for Flexible Near Infrared Photodetectors”, ACS Applied Nanomaterials May, 2019. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsanm.9b00893
- Deshmukh, J. Li, S. Nalamati, M. Sharma, & S. Iyer “Molecular Beam Epitaxial Growth of GaAsSb/GaAsSbN/GaAlAs Core-Multishell Nanowires for Near-Infrared Applications” Nanotechnology, 30, 275203 (10 pp) (2019) https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/ab0f7c
- Manish Sharma, Estiak Ahmad, , Durjoy Dev, Jia Li, C Lewis Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer,”Improved Performance of GaAsSb/AlGaAs Nanowire Ensemble Schottky Barrier based Phoodetector via In-Situ Annealing”, Nanotechnology, 30, 034005 (3)(2019). https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/aae148
- Prithviraj Deshmukh, Manish Sharma, Surya Nalamati, C. Reynolds Jr, Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Molecular Beam Epitaxial Growth of High Quality Ga-Catalyzed GaAs 1-xSbx (x>0.8) Nanowires on Si (111) with Photoluminescence Emission reaching 1.7 μm” Sem. Science & Tech, ” Sem. Science & Tech, 33, 125007 (9pp) (2018) https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6641/aae7b8
- Manish Sharma, Prithviraj Deshmukh, Pavan Kasanaboina, C. Lewis Reynolds Jr., Yang Liu and Shanthi Iyer, “Growth of Defect-Free GaAsSbN Axial Nanowires via Self-Catalyzed Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Sem. Sci. and Tech. 32, 125003 (2017) https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6641/aa90b0
- 2019 Advising Excellence Award (NCA&TSU) for being Advisor to the Outstanding Dissertation Award
- BEYA 2018 STEM Innovation Award.
- Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports (Nature Journal)
- DoD National HBCU/MI Committee Member (2010) to assess HBCU’s participation in their educational and research programs.
- Outstanding Senior Researcher Award –2006/7 (NCA&TSU and College of Engineering)
- Excellence in Research in College of Engineering Award-1993 (NCA&TSU).
- NANO 702
- NANO 823
- NANO 827
- NANO 852
- NANO 825
Molecular beam epitaxy, photonics, photodetectors, III-V compound semiconductors, and optoelectronic devices