Hemali Rathnayake, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor, Nanoscience
- JSNN 208K
- (336) 285-2860
About Professor Rathnayake
Dr. Rathnayake’s research work has contributed to the field of optoelectronic devices, particularly for the development of organic light emitting diodes, which are nowadays using in flat panel displays. Dr. Rathnayake’s work has been published in highly rated peer-reviewed journals such as Nanoscale, Macromolecules, Chemistry of Materials, the Journal of Material Chemistry, RSC Advances, and the New Journal of Chemistry. Her research has received ~ $3.5 million in funding including recent awards from the NASA NC Space Consortium and the Department of Defense. Her service to UNCG includes: University Grievance committee, Research Policies Committee, Scholarly Communication Committee, and in the past as the Department Director of Graduate Studies.
Hemali Rathnayake, Gayani Pathiraja, and Daniel Herr “Novel approach to sub-5-nm patterning platforms: the self-assembly of metal conjugated bio-inspired molecules”, Proc. SPIE 10958, Novel Patterning Technologies for Semiconductors, MEMS/NEMS, and MOEMS 2019, 1095811, 5 June 2019; https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2518995
Sheeba Dawood, Ryan Yarbrough, and Hemali Rathnayake, “Self-Assembly and Optoelectronic Properties of Isoreticular MOF Nanocrystals”, Synthetic Metals, 2019, 252, 107-112.
Klinton Davis and Hemali Rathnayake, “Band Gap Engineered Zinc Oxide Nanostructures via a Sol-Gel Synthesis of Solvent Driven Shape-Controlled Crystal Growth”, RSC Advances, 2019, 9, 14638-14648.
Matthew Hawkins, Sujoy Saha, Ezhakudiyan Ravindran, and Hemali Rathnayake, “A Sol-Gel Polymerization for Creating Polyimide Nanostructures as Soft Dielectric Materials, J.Poly.Sci. A, 2019, 57(4), 562-571, DOI: 10.1002/pola.29295.
Marzieh Moradi, Bailey M Woods, Hemali Rathnayake, Stuart J Williams, and Gerold A Willing, “Effect of functionalization on the properties of silsesquioxane: a comparison to silica”, J. of. Colloid and Polymer Science 2019, 297 (5), 697-704.
S. J. Ananthakrishnan, J. Strain, S. Sahare, M. Venkataramana, M. Jahan, and H. Rathnayake, “Precise Control in Photovoltaic Response of Poly(3-hexylthiophen e):Fullerene Solar Cells via Accelerated-Solvent Vapor Annealing”, Sci. Adv. Today, 2018, 4, 25279.
John R. Bertram, Aubrey Penn, Matthew J. Nee, and Hemali Rathnayake, “A Novel n-Type Organosilane-Metal Ion Hybrid of Rhodamine B and Copper Cation for Low-Temperature Thermoelectric Materials”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2017, 9, 10946-10954.
- An Honoree for Faculty Excellence in Research and Creative Activity, 2019, Office of Provost, UNCG
- UNCG 2018 College Level Teaching Excellence Award, 2018, Office of Provost, UNCG
- An Honoree for Faculty Excellence in Research and Creative Activity, 2018, Office of Provost, UNCG
- Nominated for the Ogden College Faculty Award for Research and Creativity, January 2015, Western Kentucky University.
- Most Prolific Proposer Award by the College for the fiscal year 2014 from the Office of Research, December 2014, Western Kentucky University.
- First Time Awardee Recognition for the fiscal year 2013 from the Office of Research, December 2013, Western Kentucky University
- Most Prolific Proposer by College Award for the fiscal year 2013 from the Office of Research, December 2013, Western Kentucky University.
- Junior Investigator Award for the fiscal year 2013 from the Office of Research, December 2013, Western Kentucky University.
- In Recognition of Significant Progress Towards Commercialization from the Office of Research, November 2012, Western Kentucky University.
- Nominated for the Ogden College Faculty Award for Research and Creativity, January 2012, Western Kentucky University.
- Nominated for the Ogden College Faculty Award for student advisement, January 2010, Western Kentucky University.
- Bucks for Bright Ideas Award from Small Business Accelerator and the Center Region Innovation and Commercialization, 2010, Bowling Green, Ky.
- NAN 601
- NAN 611
- NAN 705
Renewable energy, Energy harvesting and storage, Environmental Chemistry, Optoelectronic devices