JSNN facilities are open to academic (internal and external) users, small and large companies, and government researchers.
To use JSNN facilities or resources, you must first enroll in the JSNN User Program. You can enroll either as a member of the Joint School’s Institute for Research Technologies (JSIRT) or as a Gateway Material Test Center (GMTC) user.
JSIRT Internal Users
You’re considered an internal user if you’re a student, faculty and/or staff member of the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSNN), North Carolina A&T State University (NCA&T), or the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG).
External Users (from other academic institutions or industry)
External users (other academic institutions or industry) can access the JSNN facilities either by becoming a member of the Joint School’s Institute for Research Technologies (JSIRT) or as a Gateway Material Test Center (GMTC) user.
JSIRT allows users to conduct their own work, experiments or research. GMTC is a service center, where staff perform the work for the user.
If you are a new, first-time principal investigator of JSNN/SENIC facilities from external academic institutions (non-GT, non-NCA&T and non-UNCG) or non-profit organizations in the US, you have the opportunity to access JSNN facilities free for a limited time. Please visit the JSNN/SENIC Catalyst page for more details.
Interested in joining?
If you’re interested in becoming a JSIRT member or GMTC user, here’s how you can join:
- Contact JSNN core facility to initiate your project. Please email email@example.com briefly describing the project, and what tools and/or facilities may be required. If you have any questions, contact Prof. Shyam Aravamudhan at 336-285-2856; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After project discussion/approval, submit the JSNN User Enrollment Form indicating whether you will perform the work (JSIRT) or we (JSNN) will do the work for you (GMTC).
- Submit JSNN Enrollment and Access Application.
- Complete JSNN General Safety Training:
- Read JSNN Safety Manual.
- Attend JSNN General Safety Training. For safety training, please contact Nafisa Sirelkhatim at 336-285-2817; email: email@example.com
- Please note that off-site/remote users (users who will never be on-site at JSNN) do not need to complete this step. All other users must read the manual and attend the safety training.
- Please return the JSNN user enrollment form and safety training checkoff to Jerri Price at the JSNN Admin Office—tel: 336-285-2889; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. After verification, you’ll obtain your JSNN Access Badge and will be officially enrolled as a JSNN User.
- All equipment requires training and sign-off by staff. For training on specific tools, labs or facilities, submit a User Training Request. Information regarding the process or samples should be provided in the form for staff to evaluate your request. Insufficient information or lack of a signature will delay your request.
- All users will be required to sign the Code of Conduct (before scheduling for the first time) and follow all JSNN Policies and Safety Guidelines at all times. Some tools may certain process restrictions and can only be scheduled at certain times or for certain lengths of time. New processes or materials need to approved by EHS and/or staff.
- After training and sign-off, a Bookitlab account will be created for you. You can then schedule and use the tool or facility by scheduling it on BookItLab. Every tool that has a calendar must be scheduled. All calendars are immediately accessible regardless of training/sign-off; however, please do not schedule time until authorized. If you wish to use an open instrument immediately, this should still be entered into the calendar for tracking purposes; also make sure you cancel appointments if you finish early or no longer need the tool or facility.
If you’re interested in becoming a JSIRT member or GMTC user, please follow the steps below:
- Contact the JSNN Core Facility to initiate your project. Please email email@example.com and briefly describe the project, and what tools and/or facilities may be required. If you have any questions, contact Prof. Shyam Aravamudhan at 336-285-2856; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After project discussion/approval, submit the JSNN Enrollment and Access Application indicating whether you will perform the work (JSIRT) or we (JSNN) will do the work for you (GMTC).
- Complete the following membership forms:
Registration and User Agreement
Mutual Non-disclosure Agreement
Billing Policies and Information Form
Please note that the forms require signatures of authorized personnel other than those of the user. The institutional signature on the agreements needs to be someone who has the authority to sign on behalf of your institution. Normally, Users, PIs, and administrative assistants do not have this authority.
Services and products provided to users under JSIRT are performed on a “best effort basis,” and without warranty or endorsement. JSNN will only charge users for actual usage/service.
- JSNN will provide a quotation for the intended work.
- After user acceptance, complete the Billing Policies and Information Form.
- JSNN staff will begin the work. Services and products provided to users under GMTC are performed on a “best effort basis,” and without warranty or endorsement. JSNN will only charge for actual usage/service, which may be different from the quoted price. The user will be informed of that charge beforehand.