Ram V. Mohan, Ph.D.
- Professor, Nanoengineering
- (336) 285-2867
Dr. Mohan is currently a professor of Nanoengineering in the Department of Nanoengineering, at North Carolina A&T State University (NCAT) leading computational nanoengineering research. He is also an Adjunct Professor of Nanoscience at Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, and is an affiliated professor with Computational Science and Engineering Graduate Program. Dr. Mohan’s research and educational activities have been continually funded over the years by several US federal agencies, defense industries and private organizations. Over the years at NCAT, building upon his core research field of mechanics and materials, Dr. Mohan has led and established new research directions and capabilities, which includes Additive Manufacturing (AM) equipment and infrastructure for hierarchical material developments and research investigations, high performance computational systems, and low length scale mechanical characterization. In addition, Dr. Mohan played a key leading role in the development and establishment of two graduate programs (Computational Science and Engineering, Nanoengineering) at North Carolina A&T State University. He is recipient of 2012 University Senior Researcher Award and 2017 Interdisciplinary Team Research Award at NCAT. Dr. Mohan has a clear understanding and vision for interdisciplinary, system of systems solutions needed for complex problems based on his educational and research upbringing and philosophy.
Dr. Mohan has more than 140 peer reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and conference proceedings to his credit to date. Prior to NCAT, he served as a composites materials expert for NASA National Center for Advanced Manufacturing at University of New Orleans; as a resident research scientist with U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL). Dr. Mohan holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from University of Minnesota, a M.S. in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His computational methods for physics based flow modeling of composite material processes evolved into DOD HPCMP scalable parallel simulation analysis software for liquid composite molding (LCM) processes; provided modeling and simulation analysis capabilities to various advanced composite prototype developments for the Department of Defense. These had resulted in two U.S. Army R&D Achievement Awards for ARL. Dr. Mohan’s research in his foundational core of mechanics and materials, contributions and interests include the areas mechanics, materials, and computational modeling of nanoengineered material systems (crystalline, polymer composites, amorphous, bio and cementitious material systems and their multi-scale effects); modeling of bio and nano systems, interfaces, and interactions; computational mechanics, nanomechanics, and material sciences; material science and mechanics related to Additive Manufacturing (AM) of Hierarchical Material Systems and AM structures; transport phenomena in composite material processing; physics based composite modeling simulations, understanding uncertainties and process optimizations, experimental investigations for LCM processes; high performance scalable computing, engineering product visualization; engineering education.
Dr. Mohan is an invited and keynote speaker at several international conferences, universities, research laboratories, and industries in US, Europe, India, Brazil, Taiwan, S. Korea, Malaysia, and several other countries. Dr. Mohan also holds a visiting professorship with University of Malaysia, Pahang. His industrial interactions include Lockheed Martin-Manassas, Boeing-Mesa, Northrop Grumman, Boeing-St. Louis, Lockheed Martin-Skunk Works, General Dynamics, Highland Industries, Advaero Technologies, Callaway Carbon, and VX Aerospace. Dr. Mohan plays an active role in American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME) where he initiated and served as the Track Chair for Materials: Genetics to Structures Track at the 2014, 2015 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition; Chair of the ASME materials processing technical committee, and is currently serving in the executive leadership as vice chair for nanoengineering council and nanoengineering for energy and sustainability group. He is a member of American Society of Aeronautics (AIAA), American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), and Society for Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering (SAMPE); regularly presents, organizes and conducts seminars and conferences for these professional and engineering organizations in US and around the world.
- Computational multi-physics/multi-scale modeling and simulation in engineering and physical applications
- Computational mechanics, nanomechanics, and material sciences
- Processing, mechanics, characterization, and computational modeling of composite and nanoengineered material systems
- Material Science and Mechanics related to Additive Manufacturing (AM) of Hierarchical Material Systems and AM structures
- Computational modeling of bio and nano systems, interfaces and interactions
- Transport phenomena; Flow and thermal behavior during composite material processing and in fibrous porous media
- Physics based composite process modeling simulations, process optimization with experimental investigations by resin transfer molding (RTM), vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) and liquid composite molding (LCM) processes
- High-Performance, scalable scientific computing and engineering product visualization
- Engineering education
- Reduced Weight Polymer Based Composite for Sabots on Anti-Tank Rounds, MSRDC, Picatinny Arsenal ARDEC, 12/2017 – 1/2019, Phase 1, Mohan R. (Lead PI), Kelkar A. (Co-PI).
- Additive Manufacturing 3-D Printer for Hierarchical Material Composition-Morphology-Lattice Structure Developments and Investigations, DOD Army Research Office, 04/2016 – 04/2017, Mohan, R. (Lead PI).
- Nano to Continuum Multi-Scale Modeling Techniques and Analysis for Cementitious Materials under Dynamic Loading, Partnership in Research Transition Program, Army Research Office, 06/2011 – 09/2017, Mohan, R. (Lead PI), A. Kelkar (Co-PI), A. Rajendran (Co-PI, University of Mississippi, Oxford).
- Nano-Indenter for Mechanical Property Characterization of Materials at Lower-Length Scales, DOD Army Research Office, 07/2014 – 07/2015, Mohan, R. (Lead PI), Kelkar, A. (Co-PI).
- Add-on Supplementary Proposal for the Investigation of High Performance Materials, DOD Army Research Office, 02/2013 – 09/2017, Mohan. R. (Lead PI).
- Processing and Characterization of Micro Vascular Composite Coupons, 06/2016 – 09/2017, Clarkson Aerospace, Mohan. R. (Co-PI).
- Process, Mechanics, and Modeling Towards ICMSE of High Temperature Resin Organic Matrix Composites, 08/2015 – 05/2016, Clarkson Aerospace, Mohan. R. (Co-PI).
- High Performance Computing and Enabling Technologies for Nano and Bio Systems and Interfaces, Army Research Office, 04/2011 – 03/2013, A. Kelkar (PI), Mohan, R. (Co-PI).
- Computational Modeling and HPC in Advanced Materials Processing, Synthesis and Design, Office of Naval Research, 04/2009 – 06/2012, Mohan, R. (Lead PI).
- Process, Mechanics, Modeling and Enabling Technologies for Integrated Computational Materials Engineering for High Temperature Polymer Matrix Composites, Clarkson Aerospace, 10/12 – 12/15, Mohan, R. (Co-PI).
- Efficient Computational Methodologies and Enabling Technologies for Large Scale High Performance Composite Process Modeling, Clarkson Aerospace, 01/12 – 08/12, Mohan, R. (Lead PI).
- Materials and Manufacturing Research, Clarkson Aerospace, 9/2009 – 8/2010, Mohan, R. (Co-PI).
- Consortium for Research Computing for the Sciences, Engineering and Technology, National Science Foundation, 9/2009 – 8/2012, Mohan, R. (Co-PI).
- Integrating NASA Science, Technology and Research in Undergraduate Curriculum and Training (INSTRUCT), NASA, 10/2009 – 08/2013, Mohan, R. (Co-PI).
- Fabrication and Characterization of Advanced Fiber Composite Radiation Shielding Materials, NC Space Grant, , 07/2008 – 06/2009, Mohan, R. (Lead PI).
- NSF ERC for Revolutionizing Metallic Bio-Materials, National Science Foundation, 10/2008 – 09/2013, Mohan, R. (Senior Investigator).
Publishing agreement with Springer for a book on Manufacturing and Liquid Infusion Processing of Polymer Composites with Complex Microstructures – Numerical Modeling and Simulation co-authored with Prof. K. Tamma is under development, 2017.
Computational Nanoengineering and Nanotechnology
- J. Rivas-Murillo, R. Mohan, A. Ahmed, “Constitutive Material Models for High Strain Rate Behavior of Cementitious Materials from Material Chemistry – Molecular Dynamics Modeling Methodology with Illustrative Application to Hydrated Calcium Silicate Hydrate Jennite”, Blast Mitigation Strategies in Marine Composite and Sandwich Structures, Springer Nature, Singapore, 2018.
- K. Rhinehardt, R. Mohan, and G. Srinivas, “Chapter 14 in Computational Peptidiology – Methods in Molecular Biology, 978.1-4939-2284-0, pp. 313 – 333, Springer, 2015.
- R. Mohan, O. Akinyede, A. Kelkar, and J. Sankar, “Processing, Evaluation and Molecular Simulations in Hybrid Polymer Nanocomposites,” Developments in Nanocomposites, Research Publishing Services, Singapore, ISBN 978-981-08-3711-2, 2014.
- R. Mohan and A. Kelkar, “Modeling at Nanoscale – Material Chemistry Level Modeling in Processing and Mechanics of Engineered Materials,” Nanoscience and Nanoengineering: Advances and Applications, Taylor & Francis, ISBN: 978-1-4822-31199, CRC Press, 2014.
- R. Mohan and Y. Liang, “Tensile and Flexural Deformation of Nickel Nanowires via Molecular Dynamics Simulations, Cutting Edge Nanotechnology,” Intechweb.org, ISBN 978-953-7619-93-0, 2010.
- G. Srinivas, R. Mohan, A. Kelkar, “Computational Modeling of Nano-Bio Interfaces,” Nanoscience and Nanoengineering: Advances and Applications, Taylor & Francis, ISBN: 978-1-4822-31199, CRC Press, 2014.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- I. Padilla, W. Hodo, J. Murillo, A. M. Rajendran, and R. Mohan, “Molecular Dynamics Analysis of the Constitutive Stiffness of Cement Paste as a Multi-Phase Composite System”, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 139, No. 4, 2017.
- J. Murillo, A. Mohamed, W. Hodo, R. Mohan, A. Rajendran, and R. Valisetty, “Computational Modeling of Hydrostatic Compression of Mineral Jennite”, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 99, pp. 62-69, 2017.
- K. Rhinehardt, S. Vance, R. Mohan, G. Srinivas, and M. Sandros, “Molecular Modeling and SPRi Investigations of Interleukin 6 (IL6) Protein and DNA Aptamers”, J Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, 2017.
- M. Nelms, A. Rajendran, W. Hodo, and R. Mohan, “Shock Wave Propagation in Cementitious Materials at Micro/Meso Scales,” American Institute of Physics, 1793, 120009 (2017).
- J. Murillo, A. Mohamed, W. Hodo, R. Mohan, A. Rajendran, and R. Valisetty, “Computational Modeling of Shear Deformation and Failure of Nanoscale Hydrated Calcium Silicate in Cement Paste: Calcium Silicate Hydrate Jennite”, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 98 – 114, 2016.
- K. Rhinehardt, G. Srinivas, and R. Mohan, “Molecular Dynamics Simulation Analysis of Anti-MUC1 Aptamer and Mucin 1 Peptide Binding”, Journal of Physical Chemistry, Part B, Vol. 119, pp. 6571-6583, 2015.
- G. Srinivas, H. Ochije, and R. Mohan, “Biomolecules in Binary Solvents: Computer Simulation of Lysozyme Protein in Ethanol-Water Mixed Solvent Environment”, JSM Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine, Vol. 2, No. 2, 1029, 2014.
- R. Mohan, Y. Purohit, A. Kelkar, “Mechanical Behavior of Nanoscale Multilayer Metallic Composites – Dynamic Crack Propagation in Nanoscale Ni-Al Bilayer Composite,” Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Accepted, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 60 – 69, 2015.
- M. M. Shazamanian, T. Tadepalli, A. M. Rajendran, W. D. Hodo, R. Mohan, et. al., “Representative Volume Element Based Modeling of Cementitious Materials,” J. Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 136, December 2013.
- R. Mohan, V. Jadhav, A. Ahmed, J. Rivas, and A. Kelkar, “Effect of Plasticizer Additives on the Mechanical Properties of Cement Composite – A Molecular Dynamics Analysis”, International Journal of Chemical, Materials Science and Engineering”, Vol. 8, No. 1., 2014.
- A. Mohamed, R. Mohan, et. al., “Molecular Dynamics Modeling of Hydrated Calcium-Silicate-Hydrate (CSH) Cement Molecular Structure,” J. International Scientific Publications: Materials, Methods, and Technologies, Vol. 7, 2013.
- A. Mohamed and R. Mohan, “Molecular Dynamics Modeling and Simulations for Mechanical Property Prediction of Cemntitious Material Constituents under Varying Pressure Conditions,” ASME Early Technical Career Journal, November 2012.
- G. Srinivas, R. Mohan, A. Kelkar, “Polymer Micelle Assisted Transport and Delivery of Model Hydrophilic Drug Components into a Lipid Vesicle: A Coarse Grain Simulation Study, J. Phy. Chemistry B, Vol. 117, No. 40, pp. 12095 – 12104, 2013.
- K. Rhinehardt, R. Mohan, G. Srinivas, A. Kelkar, “Computational Modeling of Peptide – Aptamer Binding in Biosensor Applications,” International Journal of Bioscience, Biochemistry, and Bioinformatics, Vol. 3, No. 6, 2013.
- E. Fefey, R. Mohan, A. Kelkar, “Computational Study of the Effect of Carbon Vacancy Defects on the Young’s Modulus of (6,6) Single Wall Carbon Nanotube,” Materials Science and Engineering – Part B, Vol. 176, No. 9, pp. 693-700, 2011.
- R. Mohan, Y. Purohit, Y. Liang, “Deformation Behavior of Nanoscale Material Systems with Applications to Tensile, Flexural and Crack Propagation,” Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 9, No. 5, 649 – 661, 2012.
Nanoengineeed Materials – Processing, Characterization and Modeling
- S. N. Grama, A. Nagaraja, S. Gururaja, and R. Mohan, “Effect of Post-Cure Temperature and Cycles on Machinability and Machining Characteristics of an Epoxy Resin System,” Machining Science and Technology, In Print, 2018.
- G. Wang, D. Yu, R. Mohan, S. Gbewonyou, and L. Zhang, “A Comparative Study of Nanoscale Glass Filler Reinforced Epoxy Composites: Electrospun Nanofiber vs Nanoparticle,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 129, pp. 19 – 29, 2016.
- M. Samykano, R. Mohan, and S. Aravamudhan, “Morphology and Crystallographic Characterization of Nickel Nanowires – Influence of Magnetic Field and Current Density during Synthesis,” J. Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2014.
- A. Kelkar, R. Mohan, M. Zhazizadeh, and E. Kimbro, “Progressive Failure Analysis of Hybrid Composite Laminates under Static Tensile Loading,” Journal of International Scientific Publications: Materials, Methods, and Technologies, Vol. 7, No. 1, ISSN1313-2539,2013.
- S. Patankar, R. Mohan, A. Kelkar, et.al. “Processing and Characterization of Epoxy Resin Dispersed with Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotube Derived from Camphor,” Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 529, 2011.
North Carolina A&T State University
- NANO 731, Introduction to Nanomodeling and Applications, Spring 2018, Enhanced course content and exercises.
- NANO 851, Nanomodeling Laboratory, Spring 2018, Introduced new systems and analysis methods.
- NANO 812, Process Modeling in Composites, Fall 2017, Reformulated teaching methods for sections of course and concepts.
- NANO 731, Introduction to Nanomodeling and Applications, Spring 2017, Enhanced course content and exercises.
- NANO 851, Nanomodeling Laboratory, Spring 2017, Independent project additions.
- NANO 812, Process Modeling in Composites, Fall 2016, Enhanced course with modeling exercise contents and analysis.
- NANO 731, Introduction to Nanomodeling and Applications, Spring 2016, Updated with exercises to reinforce critical thinking skills and new model configurations.
- NANO 851, Nanomodeling Laboratory, Spring 2016. Updated and included peer teaching and assistance experience.
- NANO 812, Process Modeling in Composites, Fall 2015. Updated and introduce new content in course offering in Fall 2015.
- NANO 731, Introduction to Nanomodeling and Applications, Spring 2015. Updated and introduced new content in the course offering in Spring 2015.
- NANO 851, Nanomodeling Laboratory, Spring 2015.Updated and introduced new content in the course offering in spring 2015.
- NANO 812, Process Modeling in Composites, Fall 2013, Updated the course for the second offering with new content in Fall 2013.
- NANO 731, Introduction to Nanomodeling and Applications, Spring 2013, Updated the course for the second offering in spring 2013.
- NANO 851, Nanomodeling Laboratory, Spring 2013, Updated the course for the second offering in spring 2013.
- NANO 885, Process Modeling in Composites, Fall 2012, New JSNN doctoral level nanoengineering course developed and taught for the first time in Fall 2012.
- NANO 785, Introduction to Nanomodeling and Applications, Spring 2012; New JSNN nanoengineering course developed, formulated and taught for the first time in Spring 2012.
- NANO 851, Nanomodeling Laboratory, Spring 2012. New JSNN doctoral level nanoengineering course developed and taught for the first time in Spring 2012.
- NANO 992, Doctoral Nanoengineering Seminar, Spring 2012
- CSE 802, Advanced Numerical Analysis, Fall 2010 – Current, CSE Ph.D. Doctoral Level; new course developed, formulated and taught for the first time in Fall 2010
- CSE 702, Comprehensive Numerical Analysis, Fall 05 – Current